Search This Blog

Thursday 19 August 2010

Drugs & Supplementation: Preparing yourself for Surgery


I was advised not to mention any supplements (in particular Arnica Montana) on the website, or this blog. Homeopathic remedies are widely used but have no established medical value, and recommending them cuts into credibility. I don't see how the supplementation may do the body any harm and so I'm going to give my recommendations a mention.


Vitamin C (2,000mg a day) a month prior to surgery
Grape Seed Extracts
Multi-Vitamins One-a-Day


I do think it's best to condition the body to it's best possible state before the surgery, by doing so you're improving your body's ability to recover from surgery - fight infection, reduce inflammation, rebuild cells and repair damaged tissue, heal woulds, build new collagen and heal itself.
My concern are only for drugs that may affect the outcome of surgery, most specifically those that alter coagulation times. Hormones is best discontinued 1 month before surgery, and that's a good time to stop aspirin as well (although for those who have a cardiac history should only do so after consultation with the doctor).

No comments:

Post a Comment